In this part of the study guide, we will give you some points and ideas that will help you put the text “A Clean, Well-Lighted Place” by Ernest Hemingway in perspective.

Literary period

Ernest Hemingway is considered a modernist writer who revolutionized literary prose by introducing a new writing technique, called the iceberg technique. This method entails that readers are only given 20% of the narrative behind a short story and are left to imagine or guess the rest 80% of the facts.


Works in the same genre

The same types of techniques used by Hemingway in his writings – particularly the intensive use of dialogue and the lack of information about the events depicted – can also be found in the work of Irish writer, James Joyce.


Works by the same author

Ernest Hemingway’s preference for dialogue as a way of conveying the events in shorts stories is well-known. Many other stories, apart from this one, render events via direct speech,


Teksten herover er et uddrag fra webbogen. Kun medlemmer kan læse hele indholdet.

Få adgang til hele Webbogen.

Som medlem på får du adgang til alt indhold.

Køb medlemskab nu

Allerede medlem? Log ind